Sunday, February 28, 2010

Script for the scene from Lamb to the Slaughter

Mary Maloney: ( takes the broom and sweeps the floor, then arranged the chairs, tables, and finally washed her hands and sat down slowly on a chair)

*(Clock starts ticking and Mary Maloney looks at it from time to time)*

*(Pull a chair over the floor and make a noise as if a car has came and stopped on the gravel, then put it down to make a bang! sound as if the car’s door is closing)-do this hidden from the audience’s view*

Mary Maloney: Oh hello, my darling! (opens arm to welcome her husband)
Patrick: Hullo, my dear.
Mary Maloney: (takes his coat(jacket) and hangs it in an imaginary closet.)
Patrick: (Takes large steps a bit unsteadily (don’t overdo it!) towards a chair and slumps into it and sits leg over leg)
Mary Maloney: (Makes the drinks, slowly and gracefully and smiling and after that passes the strong one to Patrick)
Mary Maloney: My dear Patrick, you must be really tired!
Patrick: Yes, I am tired (and drowns the whole glass of whiskey in one gulp although there is still half left)
Patrick: (Stands up, and walks like how he did just now to refill his glass of whiskey)
Mary Maloney: (Flies out of the chair and shouted,) I’ll get it for you my darling Patrick!
Patrick: Sit down! (say it patiently)
Patrick: (Comes back with a glass of dark amber whiskey)
Mary Maloney: Honey, shall I get your slippers for you?
Patrick: No(says it lifelessly)
Mary Maloney: ( Stares at Patrick drinking his whiskey)
Mary Maloney: You know, I think it is a shame to keep a policeman as senior as you walking around the whole day.
Patrick: (Silent, and sitting very still)
Mary Maloney: Should I get you some cheese, darling? I didn’t make any supper today because it is Thursday.
Patrick: No(a bit pissed)
Mary Maloney: If you’re too tired to eat out, it’s still not too late. There’s plenty of meat and stuff in the freezer, and you can have it right there in your sit and not even move an inch/
Patrick: I don’t want it(pissed)
Mary Maloney: But darling, you must eat! I’ll go get some stuff for you, then you can have it or not, as you wish.
Mary Maloney: (Walks out of her chair)
Patrick: Go on, sit down. (indicates Mary’s chair) Just for a minute, sit down.
Mary Maloney: (starts to feel a bit frightened) (sat down on her chair slowly, watching Patrick all the time with her large, bewildered eyes)
Patrick: (Finishes his second drink and stares at the glass, frowning)
Patrick: Listen, I’ve got something important to tell you.
Mary Maloney: What is it, dear, what’s the matter?(a bit panicky)
Patrick: This may be a bit of shock for you, but I have thought about it a good deal and I’ve decided the only thing to do is to tell you right away. I hope you won’t blame me too much.
Patrick: (Starts talking gibberish to Mary Maloney, and her face becomes more and more frightened and angry word after word)
Patrick: So there it is. I know it’s kind of a bad time to be telling you, but there simply wasn’t any other way. Of course, I’ll give you alimony and see you’re looked after. But please, don’t make a fuss about this. It wouldn’t be very good for my job.
Mary Maloney: (breathes heavily, looks a bit dazed)
Mary Maloney: I’ll get the supper.
Mary Maloney: (walks across the room unsteadily and opens the imaginary freezer, and takes the lamb leg on the chair, then later walks a bit more unsteadily from the weight of the lamb leg towards Patrick)
Patrick: (looking out of the window) For God’s sake, don’t make supper for me, I’m going out!(shouting)
Mary Maloney: (walks behind Patrick and swings the lamb’s leg which hits Patrick. Patrick sways a bit, and crashed down.)
Mary Maloney: (blinks, and looks at the leg of lamb she was holding, then at Patrick, and looks surprised.)

No comments:

Post a Comment